Monday, October 28, 2013

Fall Reading Room

I recently painted this room using Martha Stewart's Sandpiper. It used to be a dingy mauve color from the previous homeowner's. The new color matches the grids for the dropped ceiling ... it makes for a much more welcoming reading spot. We don't have a garage, so the space has to share with the deep freezer ...


I dressed the room in fall colors and decorations. It makes it a perfect spot to read seasonal books. I picked the cozy arm chair up at a local thrift store for $20. No reupholstering required. It's slightly worn from use, but nothing too bad. I got the needlework scarecrow pillow from the same thrift for $0.25, along with the World Market burnt orange curtains for $10/ pair. I picked the Heritage Lace Skeleton curtain from my neighbor's garage sale for $1.


The friendly skeleton waves at our guests as they walk up the driveway. I picked some seasonal scrapbook paper at Hobby Lobby to put in my three frames. This bit of wall space is the perfect width for an 11" x 14" frame. I picked up these frames at my local Dollar General for around $5 each - much cheaper than other stores!


This cozy arm chair is such a comfortable spot to read a book! I picked the "171" hooks at Ross, a discount store. The hooks were in the clearance section. I picked the cinnamon broom a couple of years ago at the local thrift store for $0.25 and added raffia ribbon bows that I found on the same day. It hasn't lost it's cinnamon aroma just yet, but I think I'll have to invest in some new ones next year.


For some reason, my wall color looks purplish in these photos. In real life, it is more gray like sand. I added this picture of a carved pumpkin from last year. I like to trade-out pictures with seasonal ones. This thrifted 11" x 14" frame hangs above my bookshelf ...


I picked these three glass pumpkins at a local thrift store for $3, or $1/ each. I also picked these three Halloween-themed children's books for $0.25/ each. The small pumpkin basket is filled with wheat-colored raffia ribbon peeking out. It is part of a set of 3 pumpkin baskets, which I also picked at the local thrift store. The glass pumpkins are lit with orange LED pillar candles I picked at Hobby Lobby, using my 40% off coupon. I used a gift card a family member gave me for my birthday.

Can you tell that I buy most everything at a thrift store or garage sale?



No comments:

Post a Comment